Gold

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Hanzo
Watcher
Gold
Thursday, May 3rd, 2007 at 8:03 am
Just some random thoughts about gold pieces.

- Perhaps we could have set gradations of money, so it doesn't get quite as absurd as, say, when trying to lug around 5 million gold pieces to go train. Think about it, FIVE MILLION? So instead, have 100 bronze = 1 silver, and 100 silver = 1 gold, and maybe another higher tier like 100 gold = 1 platinum. (OMG, bronze dagger, I'm attacking with money, and of course, werewolves can't pick up silver, haha.)

- Currency. So, let's say I go to the barbarian village, and I just have to buy a torch there. I am only carrying gold pieces (see above). That's too bad, the shop only accepts beaver pelts, and I am unable to make the purchase. Instead, I am forced to barter with another player who has beaver pelts, so I can purchase this torch, or, I must go to the nearest bank and suffer at their exchange rate, that changes daily. Obviously, the game isn't large enough yet to have separate currency for EVERY city/area, maybe just one or two.

- Every pawn shop(pe) appraises one given item for the same value, at the moment. It might be interesting for certain places that are less mainstream, to value for more or less than the average. Maybe a harder to reach pawn will give you more money for that holy idol. While another has so many idols/a stingy shopkeep/is so far removed from civilization, that it pays far less. Bards would still haggle accordingly.

- Along the same lines, is recycling. Maybe Sigil/Oakspire/Eldinwood is more environmentally conscious, and instead of giving 5 gold pieces (see above) for that broken hand axe, it gives you 50! This is completely insignificant later on, but would be well worth the trouble for low levels. Shame on you for dumping trash from Highport into Sigil though.

delta
Watcher
Re: Gold
Thursday, May 3rd, 2007 at 10:56 am
Haha, if the current gold pieces = the bronze in your plan, then I'm gonna have about....1/5 platinum. NICE!

But in any case, I do like the idea of a graded currency system, and even an itemized currency system. It would make things more interesting.

How about a magical debit card that's directly linked to your bank account. Or even a credit card, and accumulate interest until a certain point, whereupon all city guards aggro you. =)

P.S. Why doesn't the bank pay me interest on my gold!?

Realms ForumIn-Game DiscussionGold