Overland

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Overland
Tuesday, December 11th, 2007 at 4:01 pm
There have been some behind-the-scenes changes to the overland map recently, now that the semester is winding down for me and I find myself with free time again.

1. You can now create dimensional anchors in the overland.
2. Compass objects have been created to help you find your way home, should you get lost. Check out the general stores in most cities. Type HELP COMPASS for more info.
3. Vision has been updated and a farsight spell has been coded. HELP FARSIGHT
Angel Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over. Evil

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Re: Overland
Wednesday, December 12th, 2007 at 4:59 pm
4. Various bugs with the overland were fixed.
5. Most unique areas now link back to the overland via a separate exit, ie, "ogate" instead of "gate". These include Caladon, Drakken, Darkhold, Highport, etc. etc.
6. A new quest has been added. It's the first of its kind, so it might take a bit. Check the bottom of the wizards' guild in Gnomebarrow. Relatedly, the blink spell has also been moved to the Gnomebarrow wizards' guild.

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Thursday, December 13th, 2007 at 12:12 pm
7. The Demonloch, the glaciers, and Werewolf Woods have all been hooked up to the overland map. Meadhil and Druidwood are still on the way.
8. There will be some updates to vision soon; namely roads will help you see across terrain. When walking on a mountain road, you'll be able to see further.

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Thursday, December 13th, 2007 at 3:06 pm
9. Some of the minor road-side attractions you are familiar with have been moved onto the overland map. This was all done in the Drakken Port area (ogre camp) and Hampton area (farms). They're no longer linked to from the unique rooms, so you'll have to use the map to get to them.

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Friday, December 14th, 2007 at 11:54 am
10. So I was doing some work today on the overland; I was replacing the fixed-width storage container that I used when I started work (to make things easier) with a variable-width storage container. Nothing you're really excited about, except it resulted in a really great bug I wanted to post:

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Tuesday, December 18th, 2007 at 12:22 am
11. An overland tracking system is now in place. Rangers should be able to use track in the overland to hunt people down. Mr. Green Terrain effects how long tracks last: for example, tracking through mountains will be much more difficult than a dense forest.

Tracks will not last forever - they decay after X game minutes. Tracks in the grassland, for example, will decay after 200 game minutes. These numbers are all still in testing phase, so hopefully we can tweak them and make sure track is still useful.

12. The structure for 3-dimensional areas was added when I first coded overland, but now it's completely supported. You can now enter underdark system of caverns; it's fairly small for now, but will be easy to expand in the future.

Of course, this means I cant call it "the overland" anymore, since there are now caves. Back to calling it "area code" :P

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Thursday, December 20th, 2007 at 1:27 pm
13. The Wizard's Eye Tower now connects to area rooms. I updated the course of the tower to take you to the equivalent location on the overland. Since many of these are all clustered down by Highport, in the future I'll change certain stops to take you elsewhere in the world.

Ocelot
Dungeonmaster
Thursday, December 20th, 2007 at 5:21 pm
Is it random yet? hehe

I eventually intended for it to be.
"There's nothing wrong with shooting, so long as the right people get shot." --Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry in Magnum Force

Realms ForumAnnouncementsOverland