Go Fish...

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
luminaire
Go Fish...
Monday, May 14th, 2007 at 12:33 am
Just a thought I had...how bout adding fishing to the game? The way it would work would be relatively simple, if a room is flagged so that players can fish then all the player has to do is equip a fishing pole and...well, fish. After the player casts his line, there would be a few possible outcomes.

Example:
Highport Docks
The Ironclad docks here.
Obvious exits: south.
eq
On body:   a rain poncho
Wielded:   a bergen fishing rod
fish
You cast your line out into the water.
(waiting...)
if fishing is unsuccessful
Nothing biting today.
if fishing is successful
You feel a nibble!
reel
You begin reel in the line.
You pull out a fish and prepare it for later.
                 OR
The fish broke your pole!
                 OR
That's no ordinary fish!
A sea serpent just arrived.
The sea serpent attacks you.
                 OR
You pull out an <item>.
if you don't reel in fast enough
Whatever it was, it got away.

At any rate, something like that could be interesting. You could make it more complicated by adding bait into the off hand but I think, if added, it would have to start out simple.

Hanzo
Watcher
Re: Go Fish...
Monday, May 14th, 2007 at 1:13 amEdits: 1   Last Edit: Mon, 14 May 2007 1:14 am
Haha, I love it.

Bait wouldn't be a bad idea. You could attach stuff like earthworms. Klavin's room would be an ideal place to sell rods/tackle.

I totally agree with the fishing results:

nothing
a multiple consumable HP or MP recovery item (must trade it to Sindra the Cook, Agapito the Chef, Chef Elvis, etc, for some cooked fish/seafood)
getting attacked by a monster
random item (can be as bad as an old tire that doesn't even pawn, or as good as rare equipment/weapons/treasure)
unable to reel in fast enough (str based?)

Maybe set the level of the monster that spawns to within a certain range of the level of the player, so low level fishers don't get instantly owned.

The quality of the item found, could be related to the quality of the fishing pole, with bait increasing the success rate. The nice fishing poles could have level restricts/race restricts/size restricts, etc.

Each cast, would take a number of shots off of the fishing pole. After enough use, it would break just like a weapon.

And of course, up at the glaciers, there would be an ice fishing hole.

Ocelot
Dungeonmaster
Monday, May 14th, 2007 at 10:47 am
NO

If you wanna fish, go play World of Warcraft or Everquest!!!!

This kind of stuff is so minor that even if we DID add it, it'd be in about 100 yrs, or
about the time RoH becomes a graphical MMORPG...Some stuff you can't do without totally re-writing crappy Mordor....we COULD do this without that, but adding things like this, rather than fixing things that need to be fixed, is a slippery slope to rewriting the whole codebase - something we do not have time to do, and don't plan to find the time.
"There's nothing wrong with shooting, so long as the right people get shot." --Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry in Magnum Force

Bane
Dungeonmaster
Monday, May 14th, 2007 at 12:07 pm
Well if someone wanted to code it and email it to me..i'd probly put it in Smile Failing that...I doubt anyone on staff would take the time to code it...too busy fixing other bugs and stuff.

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Re: Re: Go Fish...
Monday, May 14th, 2007 at 12:42 pm
Bane wrote:
Well if someone wanted to code it and email it to me..i'd probly put it in Smile Failing that...I doubt anyone on staff would take the time to code it...too busy fixing other bugs and stuff.

I'll code it tonight if we can make sharks jump out of the water and eat people :D
Angel Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over. Evil

Howwy
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 at 4:35 pm
So like if there was fishing on RoH I bet Gank would still never catch anything.

*lowblow*

Realms ForumIn-Game DiscussionGo Fish...