No MP - Assassins

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Hanzo
Watcher
No MP - Assassins
Friday, June 8th, 2007 at 6:47 amEdits: 3   Last Edit: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 2:42 pm
This is to generate discussion/ideas, for when/if the day comes that assassins lose their MP. The general idea, is that there will be some form of compensation, much like when berserkers received more HP/level, and an additional constitution bonus. Note that pure assassins lose out on 2 MP/level compared to the 1 MP/level for berserkers.

Everyone is welcome to post their thoughts, but keep it focused on assassins. Please start another thread for another class.

Credit to Xelloz for some thoughts on poisons.

What does losing MP really cause the assassin to lose out on?

1. The miscellaneous "buffs": bless, pro, d-i, invis, d-m, lev, fly, b-w, heat-pro, warmth, infravision, and the list goes on. There are potions and wands for pretty much everything and it seems like berserkers get by well enough.

Compensation - nothing.
An assassin isn't really naturally inclined to any of them (like d-m for mage, k-a for paladin, etc.) However, since more and more classes will be affected by this in the long run, with a wide range of capabilities for obtaining these wands/potions, there should be a greater availability of them or less restrictions on getting them (examples: HP campus and crystal mountain pool).

2. The offensive spells: every realm, level 1 through level 6. Being able to cast offensively is actually pretty important when it comes to pk'ing or inflicting additional damage to no dodge or no backstab mobs/perms. Losing out on MP here lowers the potential DPS (dmg/s) significantly.

Compensation - increase damage elsewhere, namely, by backstabs or by crits. Although it might bring protest, raising the backstab damage isn't entirely out of the question. Casting a spell can generate up to 50 more damage. Having backstabs go up 5 damage would be meager in comparison. If you compare assassins to multiclass versions, or thieves, at higher levels, the backstab multiplier isn't that far off. At the most you are talking about 1x, and more likely 0.5x or 0.25x. That is hardly a noteworthy difference, especially if the assassin is losing MP (this is an invalid argument obviously if those others lose MP as well).

As for crits, I speak of increasing the critical chance via bonus. Leave the calculation alone, just add on an extra percent or two. Assassins are known for efficient killing, striking at vital spots/organs, so why not a better chance to crit?

3. The status afflictions: namely stun, since assassins probably can't cast the others. For an intel assassin, this is the bread and butter. The precious seconds of stun time are invaluable as a tool for killing many things.

Compensation - poisons with various effects.
This will put envenom to use and make it MUCH more desirable, once it is properly functioning. Few skills currently rank as high on the uselessness scale as envenom (if it actually worked). Disarm and commune are the only ones that come to mind. Having to carry around a poison, envenom, and then successfully poison something, and then flee out for it to tick and slowly die isn't particularly appealing. Not to mention that whatever damage dealt by the poison, also eats away your experience gained.

Instead of just the traditional poison effect, why not add others? For instance, give the assassin the ability to create custom poisons with different/multiple effects.

First off, introduce poisons with various effects.
Poison courses through the wino's veins.
His vision blurs.

Effect: increased thac0, making it harder for the wino to hit you.

His muscles grow lax.

Effect: increased AC, making it easier for you to hit the wino.

He becomes paralyzed.

Effect: X seconds duration of stun.

His magical vitality is depressed.

Effect: X seconds duration of silence.

His energy is sapped.

Effect: X seconds duration of weakness.

He becomes lethargic.

Effect: X seconds duration of slow.

The quality of the poison will dictate how long these effects last. The harder it is to obtain/create, the better the poison will be naturally.

Then, the ability to mix poisons.
combine hemlock glabrezu
The hemlock extract synergizes with the glabrezu's blood.

Now apply and use the amalgam to achieve TWO effects at the same time.

His vision blurs.
His energy is sapped.

Vary the success rate based on level, and maybe allow for more and more combinations to be made as well. Envenom would probably have to be lowered to level 7 to begin with. I don't know how the base poisons would be obtained, maybe purchased from Shadow Masters (who uses switchblades and glasses of Nephi) or created from ingredients (depending if alchemy is introduced)?

Edit: Whoops, forgot about ...

4. The healing spells: vigor, mend, etc. Each level provides enough MP for one more vig. I don't think I've ever seen any vig exceeding 9 HP. It also definitely can be as bad as 1 HP.

Compensation - bandages.
Since it isn't a whole lot that assassins lose out on, a healing skill like meditate wouldn't be as appropriate. Just allow for bandaging during battle. Assassins are usually on the move, or on the run, depending if there was a failed assassination attempt. They should be adept at caring for themselves in the field, and this would reflect that.

Bane
Dungeonmaster
Re: No MP - Assassins
Friday, June 8th, 2007 at 10:16 am
Assassin's aren't anywhere near the top of list...fighters are much higher. Anyway my initial thoughts were some adrenaline based abilities. Give them adrenaline which would be similar to rage, except it would be built up via attacking, executing special attacks, etc, doing assasinly things.

Monster ticking is getting around to the top of my list, and then I'll work on making sure envenom is working right and adding in new poison effects.

Any ideas for special attacks (adrenaline based) or poisons are more than welcome.

Hanzo
Watcher
Friday, June 8th, 2007 at 3:15 pm
Yeah, I remember commenting about adrenaline mechanics elsewhere. I guess it won't make sense to apply any of the ideas I mentioned in light of rage/adrenaline.

It seems more appropriate for a secondary offensive skill, that uses up that rage/adrenaline. However, I can't really imagine anything appropriate that doesn't already exist in another form. Cannabalizing those effects to give to the assassin, takes too much away from the other classes.

Rage/Adrenaline:

- as an explosive release, resulting in a large amount of damage is already available as backstab.

- for quicker movement/attacks, uses the frenzy model, which is the best part of being a werewolf. No one would play a wolf if assassin could do the same.

- for a small increment attack, is just like kick, which in my opinion is already overused (fighters kick, rogues kick, monks kick, deathknights kick, multiclass fighters kick [they lose bash instead], and berserkers used to kick).

- for an additional hit, already exists as riposte, albeit, uncontrolled.

Slide
Monday, June 11th, 2007 at 2:51 am
give backstab to every weapon type.

blunt--some kind of braining
pole--impale
missile--heartshot
cleave--hell, i dunno, but this is applicable.

Just expand it to a generally harshly damaging attack.

Bane
Dungeonmaster
Monday, June 11th, 2007 at 2:56 am
that'll be the general idea...more damage from assassins

Realms ForumIn-Game DiscussionNo MP - Assassins