Google Voice

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Bodhi
Watcher
Google Voice
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 at 8:31 pm
Anyone have experience using Google Voice? I just got my invite and am deciding which route to pursue...
--Bodhi

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Re: Google Voice
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 at 11:48 pm
Yup. I've been told I sound quiet on the phone when using Google Voice, but it's nice being able to text with people while I'm on the computer. It transcribes your voicemails, but so far that's been pretty useless (depending on the person the transcription might not make any sense whatsoever).

It works best with a smartphone - that way you can automatically make outbound calls using your Google Voice number. If you don't, then it's more of a pain.
Angel Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over. Evil

luminaire
Monday, November 9th, 2009 at 10:03 am
I have a Google Android phone and have used Voice since it entered beta. Here are the features I like most:
  • Customizable for each contact in your contact list (ie: I have all my family members grouped so that if they call my work or home # it forwards to my Voice # so that it will ring my cell no matter what. Conversly, I have all my coworkers grouped so that if they call my cell or home # it will go straight to my Voice mailbox.)

• Transcripted voicemail makes it so I don't have to call my voicemail to hear the message. I can just read it from my phone and delete it. While the transcription isn't 100% it is remarkably accurate and good enough to get the general idea.

• Accessible via computer. As Dom pointed out the ability to use Voice from a computer is extremely convenient. Since I can't sit and talk/text on my cell while I'm at work, it makes it very easy for me to text and listen/read voice mails from my desk. Additionally, Voice automatically saves all voicemails to a .mp3 file which could be convenient if you need to save an important message.

zerk
Monday, November 9th, 2009 at 1:44 pm
I like the spam control. Lets you permanently block numbers, and replays messages such as "number is no longer in service".

Bodhi
Watcher
Monday, November 9th, 2009 at 5:38 pm
Sounds like many upsides. Now downsides, other than sounding quiet ala Dom?

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Monday, November 9th, 2009 at 6:21 pm
Just that you have to change your number one more time, but even that's not a terrible downside because if your old number still works, you'll still get calls. Smile

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Friday, November 13th, 2009 at 8:11 am
Two downsides:

1) I haven't tested this with regular calls to make sure, but Google Voice seems to cut off the first 0.5 seconds of a call, which is usually where people say hello.

2) I landed at an airport yesterday, turned on my phone, turned off airplane mode, and tried to make a call with Google Voice. It failed. I had to make a call with my regular number for it to go through. There might be some delay between boot-up and call-ready when using Google Voice.

Realms ForumNon-Game DiscussionGoogle Voice