The future of RoH

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Jacko
The future of RoH
Monday, November 7th, 2016 at 12:25 pm
I feel that with the bump in players it would be great to remind ourselves of what we like most in the game, and how we could improve it to retain the people who've been visiting again. Not just from the DM side, but how we, as players, can improve it for each other.

What do you guys want to get out of the game? What does the game need to fill in the gaps to make it more fun to play, if even just to dip in and hang out for a bit?

What are some pain points you wish were changed?

What levels are the most painful to overcome? Where do you feel like the game drags and the grind becomes overly tedious? Can grouping solve this problem? This will certainly be different from character to character depending on class.

What's stuff that you really like? Are there areas you like to continually revisit, not just for the xp or loot, but for the setting, or nostalgia?

What would promote you grouping more, or becoming for social with the other players?

A lot of us have started our careers, and many have started families. So grinding for 8 hours into the middle of the night isn't as easy as it used to be. I've found a lot of the fun recently is just exploring and grinding in short bursts, just enjoying myself and watching people chat through the gossip channel.

luminaire
Re: The future of RoH
Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 at 12:34 am
Jacko wrote:

What's stuff that you really like? Are there areas you like to continually revisit, not just for the xp or loot, but for the setting, or nostalgia?

I'll answer two.

First, the Firedrake Mine is an area I've always loved to explore, even if everything is aggro and there's no 1 room you can safely sit in and grind xp. From the first step you take into the "dungeon" it let's you know that you're in for a challenge with multiple aggro mobs waiting on the other side of the entry way. Couple that with countless tunnels and difficult-to-navigate exits and it sets itself up for an all-day area of exploration. What's more is that the mines are structured in such a way that there are challenges for virtually all levels of adventurer (starting at around 13-16). As you brave the depths you'll encounter a wide variety of nasties including: bugbears, githyanki, dark nagas, fire giants, myconids, earth elementals, illithids, efreeti, and more. Easily my all time favorite area.

Jacko wrote:

What would promote you grouping more, or becoming for social with the other players?

A group exp bonus perhaps would be enticing. Or possible some areas that are only accessible for groups. Otherwise, the main impediment is scheduling which is really up to the players to work out among themselves.

Usagi
Re: The future of RoH
Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 at 4:44 am
I'm not sure what it was that compelled me to randomly check in here, but it's awesome to see the timing of this post and read about all the recent activity Heart I miss you all!

My favorite adventures were in areas that required the help of other classes (i.e. requires lockpicking, special spells for access, advanced searching skills, etc.). When I first started, I spent a lot of time in Darkwood Forest since there were so many small areas hidden in there, and I loved having to build faction to gain access to areas/quests/etc. Pre-purge, there was also the thrill of going to Tradetown at night every time I needed to get some +3 claws.

I was always a solo-leveler, and recall levels 18-22 being a bit of a drag.

I miss good ol' pkilling days with clan wars, Cancer, Trist/Outlaw, Hiou, etc. but it's clearly hard with a low player population and being hunted can be discouraging. So perhaps having an arena area or PvP events (with no risk of losing inventory) could be something fun to consider -- although I'd have to think about how to implement that. But I'd be down to code it if the gods don't have time to, haha.
Usagi <27> Werewolf. Sexy furball.
Plu <40> Mage/Thief. Pickpocketing for justice.
Ulp <40> Cleric (Ares). Lifts a ton, but can't spell it.
Miko <40> Cleric/Assassin (Aramon). She uses teeth.
Nili <40> Cleric (Gradius). Bearded woman.

luminaire
Re: Re: The future of RoH
Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 at 8:20 am
Usagi wrote:
I'm not sure what it was that compelled me to randomly check in here, but it's awesome to see the timing of this post and read about all the recent activity Heart I miss you all!

It's not like any of us have recently messaged you on FB or anything Poke

Usagi
Re: Re: Re: The future of RoH
Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Quote:
It's not like any of us have recently messaged you on FB or anything Poke

HAHA oh noooo, I legit just logged into my FB to check right now!!! Thank you, Lum! I'm so bad with social media these days, but it seems your efforts clairvoyantly reached me anyway.
Usagi <27> Werewolf. Sexy furball.
Plu <40> Mage/Thief. Pickpocketing for justice.
Ulp <40> Cleric (Ares). Lifts a ton, but can't spell it.
Miko <40> Cleric/Assassin (Aramon). She uses teeth.
Nili <40> Cleric (Gradius). Bearded woman.

Realms ForumIn-Game DiscussionThe future of RoH