Hello again!

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
disaron
Hello again!
Friday, October 21st, 2016 at 5:26 pm
I got Luminaire's email a few days back and thinking about playing some when I have the time. Glad people are playing again, I've always enjoyed Realms. I started fall 2002, prior to the purge, can't believe that its been 14 years since then. I got rid of my XB1 awhile ago, and with two young kids, and wife working weekend overnights, besides streaming on twitch, I don't have much to do without gaming :P.

Few questions.

At one point there was a way to search characters based on your password. Is this still available? I think I found the command but is was disabled. I remember most of my chars, and I know I've committed suicide with several, but I feel there are some I'm not remembering.

Also, I've forgotten a password to one character I can think of right now. Is there any way to get access now?

Last, I've talked to several older players that said they may be interested in returning, especially if there were some sort of purge. I know having one character at level 40, that I'd probably somewhat hate it, but I can't imagine how some others who have been playing continuously the last few years would feel about it. I'm not sure I want to advocate for a purge, but is there any chance of this happening in the future?

luminaire
Re: Hello again!
Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 at 2:14 pm
disaron wrote:
I got Luminaire's email a few days back and thinking about playing some when I have the time. Glad people are playing again, I've always enjoyed Realms. I started fall 2002, prior to the purge, can't believe that its been 14 years since then. I got rid of my XB1 awhile ago, and with two young kids, and wife working weekend overnights, besides streaming on twitch, I don't have much to do without gaming :P.

Few questions.

At one point there was a way to search characters based on your password. Is this still available? I think I found the command but is was disabled. I remember most of my chars, and I know I've committed suicide with several, but I feel there are some I'm not remembering.

Also, I've forgotten a password to one character I can think of right now. Is there any way to get access now?

Last, I've talked to several older players that said they may be interested in returning, especially if there were some sort of purge. I know having one character at level 40, that I'd probably somewhat hate it, but I can't imagine how some others who have been playing continuously the last few years would feel about it. I'm not sure I want to advocate for a purge, but is there any chance of this happening in the future?

Hey there! Long time no see. I'm surprised and happy at the turnout from my unsolicited email spam so far Smile So first, let me answer your questions:

1) If you manage to contact Bane/Dom they should be able to help you with locating characters based on password and possibly the one character for which you don't remember the password.

2) It is highly unlikely there will be a purge any time soon. If you look back at posts from previous years the stance is fairly consistent. I totally get the rationale behind wanting a purge (leveling the playing field, the "feel" of having everyone start from scratch again...etc.) but without a sustainable player-base there is virtually no reason for it. There are less than a handful of players that have level 40 characters and, honestly, without them, there would have been no one playing the game for a good while now. I'll say that if we get a reasonable number of new and returning players who consistently play for a length of time then the likelihood of a purge to start things anew increases.

It's not my decision -- so I could be wrong on the above but that has been the stance previously. So, yes, there is a chance a purge could happen in the future, but it depends on the willingness of people to commit to playing -- if we were to purge without that commitment then it would punish the people who have committed to playing the past few years. Hopefully that makes sense.

I will say that I've seen and spoken with a number of people who are renewing their interest: Gaia, Archon, and Bodhi to name a few and I'm on almost every day.

I hope to see you in game -- with our without a purge Smile

Bane
Dungeonmaster
Re: Hello again!
Sunday, October 23rd, 2016 at 10:54 am
I'd only see a purge happening if all of the following conditions were satisfied: there is a healthy player base that supports it, a few more staff, and some of the big code projects completed (new magic system for example).

Realms ForumIn-Game DiscussionHello again!