Next Project: Bards

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
Page:  ·1· ·2· ·3·
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Jacko
Re: Next Project: Bards
Friday, May 30th, 2008 at 2:52 pm
I'd say make 4 basic types of bards

Jesters - mostly do negative things to enemies. Main abilities are based around confusion.

Skald - Beefy guys. These warchanters are tough as nails and like to be in the thick of it. Their songs usually boost their own and their parties combat ability.

Soloist - Their songs are powerful, but usually only benefit themselves.

Something - Defensive songs, they bring hope to their party members and use songs defensively.

luminaire
Friday, May 30th, 2008 at 4:41 pmEdits: 1   Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2008 5:12 pm
Quote:
Quoting Jacko:
I'd say make 4 basic types of bards

Jesters - mostly do negative things to enemies. Main abilities are based around confusion.

Skald - Beefy guys. These warchanters are tough as nails and like to be in the thick of it. Their songs usually boost their own and their parties combat ability.

Soloist - Their songs are powerful, but usually only benefit themselves.

Something - Defensive songs, they bring hope to their party members and use songs defensively.

I think if we really wanted to make different bard classes we should just make an offensive one and a defensive one.

What I'd rather see is song selection as you progress. For instance, you could choose either the song of haste or song of slow as either a quest reward or at level up.

On a side note, I think some songs, especially the more powerful ones, should require an instrument to be used in conjunction.

zerk
Friday, May 30th, 2008 at 7:01 pm
Quote:

What I'd rather see is song selection as you progress. For instance, you could choose either the song of haste or song of slow as either a quest reward or at level up.

I think that would be rather interesting if you have multiply songs that u can only choose one or either. It would make each bard more unique.

luminaire
Saturday, May 31st, 2008 at 9:24 am
Alternatively, we could make it so that each bard can learn all available songs but could only memorize 3-8 at a time to use - maybe call it a setlist. This is more commonly found for spellcasters but I suppose it could work with bards as well.

Example:
songs
Songs known: Song of A, Song of B, Song of C, Song of D, Song of E, Song of F

setlist
Current Setlist: Song of A, Song of B, Song of F
You can have 3 songs in your setlist.

setlist remove A
You remove Song of A from your setlist.

setlist add D
You begin memorizing the lyrics to Song of D.

go east
You failed to finish memorizing the song!

sing Song of D
You can't remember the words!

sing Song of X
You don't know that song!

setlist
Current Setlist: Song of B, Song of F
You can have 3 songs in your setlist.

Random thoughts. I need to sleep.

Jacko
Sunday, June 1st, 2008 at 3:44 pm
I wasn't suggesting different bard classes. But a kit for your character, much like when choosing dieties for clerics.

And offensive/defensive is far too generic. I think four options would be much better.

Offensive - songs do damage
Defensive - healing and defense
Solo - self buffing, physical damage
Control - take control of the fight with an array of abilities like confusion, charm, ect. with increased effect.

They'd all be basically the same with a few different spells for each. I'd say give them all a different lvl 5, 15, and 30 song that they'd have to quest for. Once more levels are added in there could be more at higher levels. Also maybe a single passive ability or bonus.

Realms ForumAnnouncementsNext Project: Bards
Page:  ·1· ·2· ·3·