Gradius Paladins

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
Page:  ·1· ·2·
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
midori
Re: Gradius Paladins
Monday, October 22nd, 2007 at 1:46 am
Other options:
no flee penalty
bash
make them heal as well as Gradius clerics
some new ability

Can these new options for the gradius be reviewed and discuss again?

So far it's pretty weak compared to the enoch paladin and the aramon dk. I really only have smother and pray only really helps for renounce and healing. Otherwise, since all the vile creatures are evil, enoch can do everything that gradius can. Doing good mobs, turns us evil too fast and we lose our abilities pretty quickly from light blue to pinkish doesn't take long. Besides, an Enoch paladin can kill good if they wanted to. It would take a lot of mobs to turn them from Royal Blue to Grey. They could still have all their abilities except for the goodness damage. They can still play. But I think the Gradius going to pink so fast, thei abilities are being stripped faster than an Enoch or DK when killing same aura mobs.

Smothering is just as well with gradius clerics. Plus the clerics get a pet and we don't. So what's the real advantage here? Its not anymore powerful or less.

Fleeing, well I don't that is such a big deal. Every other class can flee except for Enoch. And if it really boils down to fleeing to exp or dying. I rather flee with Enoch Paladin. A couple exp lost for that is certainly worth it compared to death.

So it kinda boils down to a pretty weak paladin, when the paladin suppose to the more of a gradius warrior and better at fighting with no real special abilities beside smothering every 2minutes and hitting like an enoch paladin but not healing as well.

Not sure what the pray does for us besides vigging. Smothering I assume is based level and str.

Otherwise, deal damage offensive is weaker than DKs
Healing is a weaker than clerics and enoch paladins
Defensive is weak besides just fleeing
Casting is every 5 secs

Please discuss or is there some light at higher levels. So far I can't see the scalability of the class at higher levels.

Midori

midori
Monday, October 22nd, 2007 at 3:13 am
Some suggestions other than combat skills

armory skills
-repair armor/weapons

Metallury skills
-Sharpening skills - damaged weapons and repairing them
-Weaponsmith - getting material and making weapons
-Armory - getting material and making armor

Would be fun to have other non-combat skills and healing skills.

Midori the only female dwarf... I am such a slut.

Bodhi
Watcher
Monday, October 22nd, 2007 at 2:48 pm
Perhaps adding other skills than combat skills might make sense from an RP standpoint.

However, to think that gradius paladins are weak in battle is a far cry from reality. They are the only race of paladins that can get 21 con by level 4 +2hp per level, and their "attunement with earth" gives them bonus damage on both blue AND red monsters, unlike enoch paladins or DKs. This will be a much bigger benefit at higher levels, as you will see. Oh, and they heal the same as Enoch paladins, not worse.

Also, being able to flee from battles without losing xp is a magnificent tactic to reduce the stunning time of a bash or circle, and not just when you are low in hit points. I also know that 9 years ago when I was first exploring the Firedrake mines with Bodhi, I so eagerly wanted to do a "mage-style" stun, hit, cast, flee, etc. on the Ancient Beholder, but the thought of losing 2k experience per flee was enough to make me cringe and not do it - I had to wait another 6 months before others leveled high enough to group it with me. So, you lose the exploring aspect with Enoch palys.

Anyway, I just wanted to contribute saying that Gradius Palys are definitely strong, probably one of the few times a dwarf is a whole head and shoulders above others Smile

-Bodhi

midori
Monday, October 22nd, 2007 at 7:02 pm
Maybe I am not seeing the true benefits at my low level status.

Maybe one suggestion about the vile creatures, is that you can kill it till it turns to light blue and not just grey. That would give a bit more range from Light Blue - Pink. Otherwise, I think I would be just moving between grey-pink. To go to lightblue I would have to kill evil but non vile.

I still see non-flee as Enoch Paladin restriction only. Every other class can do it so. I don't think its that special that a paladin can flee. If that was the intent, perhaps the stating of a gradius paladin would be different mix and play than an Enoch Paladin would be. Since you can flee without penalty, you can stat an int, pty type paladin and do stun, smother, 3X hit flee combos.

Here are some other ideas
Maybe weaponsmith, knocking down doors that are locked, drunken fury (like frenzy), harden shielding (like stoneskin), shield block (like dodge) or shield bash (like riposte), kick, dwarven paladin only weapons (mace, hammers, pikes), vile only type attack or defense.

Midori

midori
Tuesday, November 13th, 2007 at 12:06 am
Bump!

midori
Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 at 11:04 am
Finally made it to level 16 Gradius Paladin. No new skills at this level. But I can still flee, vig, hit, smother and natural infravision.

Smother 50-64
Earth Damage 1-6, vig 11-17, mend 25-30.
Bluish, Reddish: No earth damage and healing reduced
Royal, Blood: Reduced damage by 1/2, and healing reduced

Alignment change is really fast.

Wish I had bash!

Midori

Realms ForumAnnouncementsGradius Paladins
Page:  ·1· ·2·