Code: Weight-Based Traps

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Code: Weight-Based Traps
Monday, May 14th, 2007 at 2:31 pm
Weight-based traps have been coded; this acts as a trigger for existing traps. For example, say there is a room with a pit trap set to spring at 100 lbs. Five 10 lbs characters would be able to enter the room and not spring the trap. However, if a 100 lbs character entered the room, the trap would spring and everyone would have to make a saving throw to avoid falling in the pit.

Currently, the weight of all players, monsters, and objects are counted towards the weight required to spring a trap. It is possible for someone to be a jackass and leave a 50 lbs boulder in the room.

Note that if you are levitating, flying, or misted, your weight doesn't count for springing the trap.
Angel Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over. Evil

delta
Watcher
Re: Code: Weight-Based Traps
Friday, May 18th, 2007 at 4:49 am
Do pets have weights?

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Friday, May 18th, 2007 at 10:56 am
If you give them items to carry, yes. Currently, if you are carrying nothing, you weigh nothing. This might change in the future (picture default starting age for different races).

delta
Watcher
Friday, May 18th, 2007 at 2:06 pm
So if I'm levitated, and my pet is carrying 100 pounds and walks into a trap room without levitate, and the maximum weight limit of the room is 99 pounds, will my pet fall through the trap and get disjointed from me? If there are mobs in the room that are carrying stuff, will they fall?

Hanzo
Watcher
Saturday, May 19th, 2007 at 4:22 am
On a similar note, what if someone enters the room levitated/flying/misted, and drops enough items into the room to exceed the activation weight. Would the trap set off 100% of the time at the slightest increase in weight? Or would the items be cleared from the room (ie. they fall to the room the trap leads to)?

Disarm: a new twist on the ability (might even get used more). Fighters would be able to enter a room first, and disarm the trap in that room, for ONLY the next person to enter safely. The trap would be reset after that, so that the next person after that would still have to pass/fail the regular checks.

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Re: Re: Code: Weight-Based Traps
Saturday, May 19th, 2007 at 1:32 pm
delta wrote:
So if I'm levitated, and my pet is carrying 100 pounds and walks into a trap room without levitate, and the maximum weight limit of the room is 99 pounds, will my pet fall through the trap and get disjointed from me? If there are mobs in the room that are carrying stuff, will they fall?

Go test this out yourself: levitate and walk over a pit trap. Does your pet go anywhere?

Hanzo wrote:
On a similar note, what if someone enters the room levitated/flying/misted, and drops enough items into the room to exceed the activation weight. Would the trap set off 100% of the time at the slightest increase in weight? Or would the items be cleared from the room (ie. they fall to the room the trap leads to)?

Dropping items doesn't trigger traps, but items on the ground count toward its weight. Pit traps SHOULD make items on the floor make a saving throw to avoid falling in the trap as well, but I don't think to do. Also, keep in mind that this is not limited to pit traps - there could be a poison dart with a weight-based trigger.

Hanzo wrote:
Disarm: a new twist on the ability (might even get used more). Fighters would be able to enter a room first, and disarm the trap in that room, for ONLY the next person to enter safely. The trap would be reset after that, so that the next person after that would still have to pass/fail the regular checks.

I hope you mean thief, and not fighter :P

Realms ForumAnnouncementsCode: Weight-Based Traps