Large Hadron Collider

Timezone: Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00)
Page:  ·1· ·2· ·3· ·4·
� Previous :: Next �
AuthorMessage
Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Re: Large Hadron Collider
Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 2:10 pm
Since we're hung up on terminology, black holes don't suck, just like the Earth doesn't suck you in. You fall in to black holes, just like the Earth makes you fall, since they're both using gravity.

...unless you pay them.

luminaire
Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 2:48 pm
They accrete matter.

Jacko
Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 6:50 pm
We haven't fallen into the black hole at the center of our galaxy just like we haven't been forced into the sun we orbit in this solar system. But if just one black hole the size of a quarter were to fall into the Earth as a result of this how long would it take until monumental change would occur on its surface, its orbit, its density and gravity, tidal changes, ect. That's just if one small one was created, and who's to say it wouldn't grow over time to becomes a much more serious threat.

Bane
Dungeonmaster
Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 9:27 pm
All hail Jacko Master Physicist!

Dominus
Dungeonmaster
Re: Re: Large Hadron Collider
Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 10:14 pm
Jacko wrote:
But if just one black hole the size of a quarter were to fall into the Earth as a result of this

If a centimeter-sized black hole is the entire mass of the Earth, then a quarter-sized black hole would logically be more than the mass of the entire Earth. Where is all this extra mass coming from? The moon?

Jacko
Saturday, September 20th, 2008 at 1:05 am
If a black hole collapses matter, then it could just destroy the matter around it.

The threat isn't the outcome, but the possible outcome. If it were the likely outcome it would have never been turned on.

luminaire
Re: Re: Large Hadron Collider
Saturday, September 20th, 2008 at 1:08 am
Jacko wrote:
But if just one black hole the size of a quarter were to fall into the Earth as a result of this how long would it take until monumental change would occur

Rössler's work has shown that a micro-black hole could accrete the earth within 50 months.

disaron
Re: Re: Re: Large Hadron Collider
Saturday, September 20th, 2008 at 10:17 am
luminaire wrote:
Jacko wrote:
But if just one black hole the size of a quarter were to fall into the Earth as a result of this how long would it take until monumental change would occur

Rössler's work has shown that a micro-black hole could accrete the earth within 50 months.

How the hell does one test this?

disaron
Re: Re: Re: Large Hadron Collider
Saturday, September 20th, 2008 at 10:18 am
luminaire wrote:
disaron wrote:
I doubt these guys can create anything that will suck up the world.

You doubt it, therefore it must be so.
Quote:

Although I can see why some of you are wanting it, as it will be the only time you will have anything sucked.

I'm pretty sure everyone that's posted on this topic is currently in a relationship - but either way, way to keep it mature.

oh come on Lum have some fun.

luminaire
Saturday, September 20th, 2008 at 10:52 am
I'll try but I'm not making any promises.

Realms ForumNon-Game DiscussionLarge Hadron Collider
Page:  ·1· ·2· ·3· ·4·